    SubjectRe: Kernel utf-8 handling
    DervishD wrote:
    > Hi all :)
    > I have a do-it-yourself Linux box, and I'm planning to move to UTF8
    > (currently I'm using es_ES locale, with latin1 encoding). One of my main
    > concerns (apart from programs with little or no utf8 support, which I
    > will have to suffer) is kernel handling, because I only use the console;
    > I only use X and a terminal emulator if I can't avoid it.

    The switch is possible. You could try the latest development LFS LiveCD
    ( and see
    if it works for you (be sure to CC: me if you post any feedback). It will
    automatically configure the console using a simple menu-driven interface.
    Some interesting programs to try there: mutt, tin, lynx, finch.

    > This said, I know that the console will give me no problems
    > regarding character representantion (heck, I'm pretty sure that I will
    > be able to use even the same font I'm using right now in the console if
    > I get the proper unicode map), but probably will give me problems when
    > *entering* characters. I've read that the kernel handles accented chars,
    > and things like 'ñ' (ntilde) because it assumes that any composed
    > character (composed using dead keys, for example) is in the latin1
    > range. While this is not a perfect behaviour, it will work for me.

    > Will the console work as it works now if I can live with latin1
    > accented characters only? Is there any terminal emulator *for the
    > console*, not for X, that handles utf8? Will I be sentenced to X to be
    > able to use my computer with utf8?

    screen, jfbterm, iterm (jfbterm and iterm are not on my CD, but you can
    build them from source there - the filesystem on the CD can be written to).
    Note that jfbterm and iterm expect X fonts (or unifont) to be available, and
    the CD doesn't have these fonts (fully switched to Xft).

    Alexander E. Patrakov

      Last update: 2007-06-01 18:31    [W:0.024 / U:37.528 seconds]