    SubjectRe: [patch 128/197] freezer: add try_to_freeze calls to all kernel threads
    Hi Stefan,
    On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:06:05PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:

    > [...]
    > >> Why add no-op-try_to_freeze() everywhere now, instead of adding it later
    > >> when it will actually be needed? (I.e. "in the future".)
    > >
    > > It is needed later in the patch series... for kprobes, etc.
    > So does freezer_exempt() still do what its name says, or does it
    > freezer_exempt_but_not_always() now?

    freezer_exempt() as of now does what its name says. I.e, exempt the
    thread from all kinds of freeze chills.

    But with more subsystems using the process freezer, the exemption needs
    to be event specific. There may be threads which should not be frozen
    for say kprobes, should be frozen for cpu-hotplug. This selective
    freezing is not yet available. But it will be soon...