    SubjectRe: + fix-spellings-of-slab-allocator-section-in-init-kconfig.patch added to -mm tree
    On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:32:20AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > (without SLAB emulation) and fragmentation was not the driving force
    > > for replacement. Small Linux 1.x machines frequently had uptimes of 1+
    > > years without fragmenting to death. Instead, it was performance with
    > 8MB for a bit over 3 years.... (1.2.13lmp)
    > The fragmentation issue I think is overbaked. A lot of the academic work
    > argues that there is pretty much no long term difference between first
    > fit, best fit, and most of the clever algorithms (obviously stupid ones
    > like "take the middle out of the biggest space allocator" do perform
    > worse). For MMUless boxes fragmentation is a big issue but not for normal
    > systems.

    Further, the received wisdom that fragmentation of SLAB-like systems
    is better is not above doubt. Our own issues with dcache fragmentation
    suggest it's far from perfect.

      Last update: 2007-05-09 02:35    [W:0.019 / U:1.964 seconds]