    SubjectRE: Regression with SLUB on Netperf and Volanomark
    On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 18:02 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 May 2007, Tim Chen wrote:
    > > On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 18:45 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > > > Hmmmm.. One potential issues are the complicated way the slab is
    > > > handled. Could you try this patch and see what impact it has?
    > > >
    > > The patch boost the throughput of TCP_STREAM test by 5%, for both slab
    > > and slub. But slab is still 5% better in my tests.
    > Really? buffer head handling improves TCP performance? I think you have
    > run to run variances. I need to look at this myself.

    I think the object of interest should be sk_buff, not buffer_head. I
    made a mistake of accidentally using another config after applying your
    buffer head patch. I compared the kernel again under the same config,
    with and without the buffer_head patch. There's no boost to TCP_STREAM
    test from the patch. So things make sense again. My apology for the

    However, the output from TCP_STREAM is quite stable.
    I am still seeing a 4% difference between the SLAB and SLUB kernel.
    Looking at the L2 cache miss rate with emon, I saw 6% more cache miss on
    the client side with SLUB. The server side has the same amount of cache
    miss. This is test under SMP mode with client and server bound to
    different core on separate package.

      Last update: 2007-05-08 03:35    [W:0.019 / U:10.724 seconds]