    SubjectRe: mkfs.ext2 triggerd RAM corruption
    Theodore Tso wrote:

    > On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:59:51PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
    >> I'm presently rather puzzled, if this is really a kernel bug, its a
    >> big
    >> bug.
    >> mkfs.ext2 on a local sata disk partition.
    > What distribution are you using? What's the hardware configuration,

    distribution: modified debian sarge, in which aspect is the distribution
    important for this problem? mkfs2.ext2 is supposed to write to /dev/sdaX
    and not /dev/rd/0. Stracing it and grepping for open calls shows that
    only /dev/sdaX is opened in read-write mode.

    beo-05 and beo-06: cpu: xeon, acpi shows S3000PTH board, memory 2GB
    (board too new for EDAC), piix sata controller

    beo-106: Dual Core AMD Opteron, no idea what kind of board, 4GB memory
    (k8_edac monitored), nforce sata controller

    beo-01: Presently can't connect to it, afaik another intel system

    (all system are running in x86_64 mode)

    > including amount of memory? What is the partition table look
    > like for /dev/sda? What filesystems are mounted? If you have any

    I already tested several partition types, e.g. something like this for a
    test on sda3

    beo-05:~# sfdisk -d /dev/sda
    # partition table of /dev/sda
    unit: sectors

    /dev/sda1 : start= 63, size= 4208967, Id=83
    /dev/sda2 : start= 4209030, size= 4209030, Id=83
    /dev/sda3 : start= 8418060, size=313251435, Id=83
    /dev/sda4 : start= 0, size= 0, Id= 0

    For the tests nothing was mounted.

    > soft RAID partitions, are any of them using part of /dev/sda? What

    No raid during the tests on sda, of course.
    When sdaX was part of a raid testing the raid device, the corruption did
    NOT happen.

    > swap partitions are you using? And do any of the swap partitions

    Swap already entirely disabled.

    > overlap with /dev/sda? :-)

    Suspected this first too, but the tested partition was never used as
    swap partition (first always tested on sda4 and sda2 was used for swap),
    later I entirely disabled the swap.

    PS: I took me about 10 hours of testing, before I wrote the first mail.
    Took me that time to believe that its really a kernel bug.

      Last update: 2007-05-05 03:39    [W:0.022 / U:5.656 seconds]