    SubjectRe: [patch 0/7] Asynchronous Notification for ATAPI devices (v2) - resend
    On Fri, 04 May 2007 15:30:03 -0500
    James Bottomley <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 11:12 -0700, Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
    > > This patch series implements Asynchronous Notification (AN) for SATA
    > > ATAPI devices as defined in SATA 2.5 and AHCI 1.1 and higher. Drives
    > > which support this feature will send a notification when new media is
    > > inserted and removed, preventing the need for user space to poll for
    > > new media. This support is exposed to user space via a flag that will
    > > be set in /sys/block/sr*/capability_flags. If the flag is set, user
    > > space can disable polling for the new media, and the genhd driver will
    > > send a KOBJ_CHANGE event with the envp set to MEDIA_CHANGE_EVENT=1.
    > >
    > > Note that this patch only implements support for directly attached
    > > drives - AN with drives attached to a port multiplier requires
    > > additional changes.
    > I seem to remember when this came up before, the observation was made
    > that AENs occur for many more things than simple media change notices,
    > so we should probably have a more generic AEN handling mechanism. Is
    > there any plan to move in this direction
    > James
    In this implementation, we use kobject_uevent_env (vs. just
    kobject_uevent in the original implementation) to send a KOBJ_CHANGE
    with the enviroment value of MEDIA_CHANGE=1. For other asynchronous
    events, you could still use KOBJ_CHANGE with a different env value.

      Last update: 2007-05-04 22:43    [W:0.020 / U:3.884 seconds]