SubjectRe: [2/6] add config option to vmalloc stacks (was: Re: [-mm patch] i386: enable 4k stacks by default)
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:43:10AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> + Allocates the stack physically discontiguously and from high
> + memory. Furthermore an unmapped guard page follows the stack.
> + This is not for end-users. It's intended to trigger fatal
> + system errors under various forms of stack abuse.

Why is this not for end-users? Will it not trigger anything
useful unless set up properly, or is a big performace hit -- and how,
or what?

All the kernel debug options are underdocumented this way -- I'd
like to have as many of them on as I can without absolutely killing
performance, (or rather, *you* would) -- but I can never tell without
grovelling all over for the info, which... well, I haven't done it
yet, anyway.

"End-user" is just insufficently defined for anyone compiling
their own kernel. Could you add a bit more text here describing what
the effect of physically discontiguous high-memory stacks is? An
additional frobnitz dereference on every badda-bing badda-bang, likely
to double the time it takes to dance the hokey pokey?

*shrug* Some of those debug options probably don't get set very
often on kernels that are run for more than to see if it boots.

Joseph Fannin