    SubjectRe: [2/6] add config option to vmalloc stacks (was: Re: [-mm patch] i386: enable 4k stacks by default)
    From
    On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:43:10AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

    > + Allocates the stack physically discontiguously and from high
    > + memory. Furthermore an unmapped guard page follows the stack.
    > + This is not for end-users. It's intended to trigger fatal
    > + system errors under various forms of stack abuse.

    Why is this not for end-users? Will it not trigger anything
    useful unless set up properly, or is a big performace hit -- and how,
    or what?

    All the kernel debug options are underdocumented this way -- I'd
    like to have as many of them on as I can without absolutely killing
    performance, (or rather, *you* would) -- but I can never tell without
    grovelling all over for the info, which... well, I haven't done it
    yet, anyway.

    "End-user" is just insufficently defined for anyone compiling
    their own kernel. Could you add a bit more text here describing what
    the effect of physically discontiguous high-memory stacks is? An
    additional frobnitz dereference on every badda-bing badda-bang, likely
    to double the time it takes to dance the hokey pokey?

    *shrug* Some of those debug options probably don't get set very
    often on kernels that are run for more than to see if it boots.

    --
    Joseph Fannin
    jfannin@gmail.com