SubjectRe: 2.6.22-rc3-mm1 - page_mkwrite() breakage
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 03:01:29AM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Ah, I didn't realise you were using that yet. I expect ocfs2 is using
> VM_CAN_INVALIDATE there anyway.
>
> Hmm, this becomes easier to deal with after page_mkwrite is merged with
> ->fault. But for now, can we just lock the page at the do_wp_page site
> as well, and change the API? All users I have seen want the page locked
> there anyway...

Unfortunately that doesn't work for ocfs2 for exactly the same reasons page
lock doesn't work during a write either - there's a cluster lock inversion
and we might have to zero adjacent pages for an allocating write.

What's involved in merging it with ->fault?

Here's a nasty idea... Would it be valid for ->page_mkwrite to unlock the
page, so long as it's returned in a locked state? Though, do we even need
the page lock that early? It seemed to me that you were adding it for
consistency reasons (I could be wrong though).
--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh
Senior Software Developer, Oracle