SubjectRe: 2.6.22-rc3-mm1 - page_mkwrite() breakage
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 03:01:29AM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Ah, I didn't realise you were using that yet. I expect ocfs2 is using
> VM_CAN_INVALIDATE there anyway.
> Hmm, this becomes easier to deal with after page_mkwrite is merged with
> ->fault. But for now, can we just lock the page at the do_wp_page site
> as well, and change the API? All users I have seen want the page locked
> there anyway...

Unfortunately that doesn't work for ocfs2 for exactly the same reasons page
lock doesn't work during a write either - there's a cluster lock inversion
and we might have to zero adjacent pages for an allocating write.

What's involved in merging it with ->fault?

Here's a nasty idea... Would it be valid for ->page_mkwrite to unlock the
page, so long as it's returned in a locked state? Though, do we even need
the page lock that early? It seemed to me that you were adding it for
consistency reasons (I could be wrong though).

Mark Fasheh
Senior Software Developer, Oracle