    SubjectRe: [RFD] BIO_RW_BARRIER - what it means for devices, filesystems, and dm/md.
    On Thu, May 31 2007, Phillip Susi wrote:
    > David Chinner wrote:
    > >That sounds like a good idea - we can leave the existing
    > >WRITE_BARRIER behaviour unchanged and introduce a new WRITE_ORDERED
    > >behaviour that only guarantees ordering. The filesystem can then
    > >choose which to use where appropriate....
    > So what if you want a synchronous write, but DON'T care about the order?
    > They need to be two completely different flags which you can choose
    > to combine, or use individually.

    If you have a use case for that, we can easily support it as well...
    Depending on the drive capabilities (FUA support or not), it may be
    nearly as slow as a "real" barrier write.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2007-05-31 21:03    [W:0.032 / U:1.956 seconds]