SubjectRe: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Side note: it might not even be a "close-on-exec by default" thing: it
> might well be a *always* close-on-exec.
>
> That COE is pretty horrid to do, we need to scan a bitmap of those things
> on each exec. So it migth be totally sensible to just declare that the
> non-linear fd's would simply always be "local", and never bleed across an
> execve).

Hm, I wouldn't limit the mechanism prematurely. Using Valgrind as an
example of an alternate user of this mechanism, it would be useful to
use a pipe to transmit out-of-band information from an exec-er to an
exec-ee process. At the moment there's a lot mucking around with
execve() to transmit enough information from the parent valgrind to its
successor.

  Last update: 2007-05-30 23:57    [W:0.074 / U:0.036 seconds]