    SubjectRe: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans: slub on PowerPC
    On Thu, 3 May 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > There are SLUB patches pending (not in rc7-mm2 as far as I can recall)
    > that reduce the default page order sizes to head off this issue. The
    > defaults were initially too large (and they still default to large
    > for testing if Mel's Antifrag work is detected to be active).

    Sounds good.

    > > - return kmem_cache_alloc(pgtable_cache[PTE_CACHE_NUM],
    > > - GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_REPEAT);
    > > + return quicklist_alloc(0, GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_REPEAT, NULL);
    >
    > __GFP_REPEAT is unusual here but this was carried over from the
    > kmem_cache_alloc it seems. Hmm... There is some variance on how we do this
    > between arches. Should we uniformly set or not set this flag?

    Not something to get into in this patch, but it did surprise me too.
    I believe __GFP_REPEAT should be avoided, and I don't see justification
    for it here (but need to remember not to do a blind virt_to_page on the
    result in some places if it might return NULL - which IIRC it actually
    can do even if __GFP_REPEAT, when chosen for OOM kill). But I've a
    suspicion it got put in there for some good reason I don't know about.

    Hugh

      Last update: 2007-05-04 00:43    [W:0.022 / U:29.836 seconds]