    SubjectDealing with flaky USB storage devices and rootfs

    We have a system where the rootfs is a partition on a USB device,
    and I've noticed upon a few rare cases where the USB controller
    loses the connection to the USB device after some uptime (days,
    weeks...), and the USB device reappears a very short time later.

    It doesn't really matter why, I guess that USB controllers and
    storage devices aren't always of the best quality - let's assume
    that. The issue is that Linux currently makes it problematic
    to recover the rootfs for several reasons.

    If /dev/sda1 is mounted as root and the SCSI device goes into
    offline mode, it is quite impossible to get out of this situation.
    At first, I had to disable the usermode helper that sends events
    to udev since it blocks on the dysfunction /dev/sda1. Afterwards,
    I noticed that the reappearing device is being assigned with
    /dev/sdb along with a new SCSI host. I guess the the VFS and
    block layer still keep a reference to the old scsi_disk and as
    a result sd doesn't free it.

    So, I gave some thoughts about this, I and came up with two
    main solutions:

    1) Improve the USB storage error handling - bind the already
    existing SCSI host to the USB port that has the device, e.g.,
    if host2 got created for usb 5-3 then keep it that way for the
    sake of EH. /dev/sda1 should come to life when the USB device
    recovers, unless a few seconds have passed or some attributes
    (such as manufactor id or serial) have changed.

    2) Block layer hack - Write a special layering block device
    driver that acts as a proxy to the currently functioning
    /dev/sd* which gets auto-detected by this block layer driver.
    md multipath for the 'poor', you might say..

    I chose '2' for the time being. It was much easier than hacking
    around the USB subsystem... Yes, I know rootfs on USB is an
    uncommon use-case at the moment but I do like to know if there
    are some improvements planned in this area.

    Dan Aloni
    XIV LTD,
    da-x (at), dan (at)

      Last update: 2007-05-29 23:03    [W:0.024 / U:38.796 seconds]