    SubjectRe: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v12
    On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 04:23:19PM -0700, Peter Williams wrote:
    > Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
    > > On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 12:43:58AM -0700, Peter Williams wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Further testing indicates that CONFIG_SCHED_MC is not implicated and
    > > > it's CONFIG_SCHED_SMT that's causing the problem. This rules out the
    > > > code in find_busiest_group() as it is common to both macros.
    > > >
    > > > I think this makes the scheduling domain parameter values the most
    > > > likely cause of the problem. I'm not very familiar with this code so
    > > > I've added those who've modified this code in the last year or
    > > > so to the
    > > > address of this e-mail.
    > >
    > > What platform is this? I remember you mentioned its a 2 cpu box. Is it
    > > dual core or dual package or one with HT?
    >
    > It's a single CPU HT box i.e. 2 virtual CPUs. "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
    > produces:

    Peter, I tried on a similar box and couldn't reproduce this problem
    with x86_64 2.6.22-rc3 kernel and using defconfig(has SCHED_SMT turned on).
    I am using top and just the spinners. I don't have gkrellm running, is that
    required to reproduce the issue?

    I tried number of times and also in runlevels 3,5(with top running
    in a xterm incase of runlevel 5).

    In runlevel 5, occasionally for one refresh screen of top, I see three
    spinners on one cpu and one spinner on other(with X or someother app
    also on the cpu with one spinner). But it balances nicely for the
    immd next refresh of the top screen.

    I tried with various refresh rates of top too.. Do you see the issue
    at runlevel 3 too?

    thanks,
    suresh

      Last update: 2007-05-29 22:51    [W:0.027 / U:63.212 seconds]