    SubjectRe: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem
    On 5/28/07, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > >properly designed
    > > >design it all on
    > > >interactions between
    > > >is definitely
    > > >didn't take that
    > > >
    > > >No it isn't the code Jesse posted can handle multi-seat
    > > >fine in the
    > > >areas that it makes sense as we've pointed out to you
    > > >you cannot just
    > >
    > > The code doesn't create one device per CRTC. Missing
    > > that feature
    > > means that we need a persistent root priv app around
    > > that owns the
    > > single device and then listens for messages from each
    > > seat asking it
    > > to do things. That root priv app is not necessary, it is
    > > a security
    > > risk and it should be eliminated.
    >
    > Fine, submit a patch. But don't block other people patches just
    > because they do not address your favourite problem.

    I have already implemented this once and submitted a patch.

    Search in the paper for this paragraph:
    http://jonsmirl.googlepages.com/graphics.html
    DRM also implements the concept of a master user with more
    capabilities than normal users. These extra capabilities allow the
    graphics device to be initialized and the consumption of GPU resources
    to be controlled. The current X server, which runs as root, functions
    as the DRM master. There is actually no real requirement that the DRM
    master be run as root, and there is a preliminary patch that removes
    this requirement.

    That paragraphs contains a link to the code that used to be hosted at
    freedesktop.org. Maybe they can still find it.

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com