    > > > Already tested on x86, amd64, ppc (by Bret). I do not have machines
    > > > from other archs available. Bret tested 'take 3' version but no
    > > > changes were introduced in further revisions that could affect
    > > > correctness - but still it will be good to have this version tested
    > > > too. Only with inclusion in -mm and testing by much wider user base
    > > > can make it to mainline (I suppose nobody uses -mm for production use
    > > > anyway).

    > With likely(), unlikely() and noinline *not* defined as NOP's performance
    > drops:
    > 10000 run averages:
    > 'Tiny LZO':
    > Combined: 84.9292 usec
    > Compression: 42.4646 usec
    > Decompression: 42.4646 usec
    > 'miniLZO':
    > Combined: 61.3548 usec
    > Compression: 43.5648 usec
    > Decompression: 17.79 usec
    > However, I'm worried that my testbed code - likely the Perl script that
    > actually loops the test code and collects its output - is somehow faulting,
    > as the way that the Compression and Decompression code have the exact same
    > value.
    > I'm going to toss some debugging output in the script and see if I can spot
    > the problem.

    Okay, checked my code and it was all a problem with cpu_to_le16 getting
    defined fully instead of just being a NOP. With that problem corrected the
    performance returns:

    10000 run averages:
    'Tiny LZO':
    Combined: 60.1028 usec
    Compression: 42.0652 usec
    Decompression: 18.0376 usec
    Combined: 61.0932 usec
    Compression: 43.4382 usec
    Decompression: 17.655 usec

    Combined average shows 'Tiny' to be 1.6% faster
    Compression in 'Tiny' is 3.2% faster
    Decompression in 'Tiny' is 2.2% slower

    All in all, the trade-off in this code, with the overall performance of
    the 'Tiny' code being faster than the stock miniLZO code I'd like to say that
    I'm certain that the decompressor could probably be sped up more, although I
    don't know of a place in the kernel where less than half a microsecond would
    make a massive impact. (Only place I can think of where this might have a
    negative is in SLAB/SLOB/SLUB, and I don't think that a low-level memory
    manager like those is a place for a compression algorithm anyway)

    Later today or tommorrow I'll start putting together another part to
    this "test-bed" for stress-testing the algorithm. Currently I only have a few
    ideas for tests:
    (for benchmarking)
    1) Random input to compressor
    2) large input data
    3) real-world data (mmap()'d chunk of /dev/mem as input)

    (for stability checking)
    4) deliberate corruption of compressed data
    5) early finish (realloc() compressed data buffer to less than the full size
    of the data)
    6) late start (change pointer to start of compressed data so the decompressor
    doesn't start at the beginning)

    When I have a better idea of how the LZO algorithm works I might try creating
    an input data-set for the decompressor that would deliberately overflow the
    output buffer. This is supposed to be caught by bounds-checking in
    the '_safe' version of the decompressor (the version used in 'Tiny' and
    used in the benchmarking of miniLZO), however it might be possible to trick
    the decompressor. (If I do manage this and it crashes both 'Tiny'
    and 'miniLZO' I *will* report it to Herr Oberhumer as well as see if I can
    come up with a quick patch for the problem).

    As I said before, any suggestions for how to improve the benchmark code are
    welcome, as are suggestions for tests I can add to it for stressing the
    new 'TinyLZO' implementation. Latest version of the test-bed attached.
    Significant changes include:
    likely(), unlikely() and noinline are no longer NOP's
    when the marked line in helpers.h is commented out, cpu_to_le16 functions as
    expected and is no longer a NOP. (Yes, that means this code is now fully
    capable of working correctly on a BE system).

    [unhandled content-type:application/x-tbz]
     \ /
      Last update: 2007-05-28 22:55    [W:0.034 / U:0.060 seconds]