SubjectRe: [] resume doesn't run suspended kernel?
Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>> On Sat 2007-05-26 18:42:37, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> I was testing susp2disk in under FC6, to support reliable
>>> computing environment (RCE) needs. The idea is that if power fails,
>>> after some short time on UPS the system does susp2disk with a time
>>> set, and boots back every so often to see if power is stable.
>>> No, I don't want susp2mem until I debug it, console come up in
>>> useless mode, console as kalidescope is not what I need.
>>> Anyway, I pulled the plug on the UPS, and the system shut down. But
>>> when it powered up, it booted the default kernel rather than the
>>> test kernel, decided that it couldn't resume, and then did a cold boot.
>>> I can bypass this by making the debug kernel the default, but WHY?
>> HELL YES :-). We do not save kernel code into image.
> That's clear, I'll have to use xen or kvm or similar which restores
> the system as suspended. Thanks for the clarification of the limitations.
Sorry, I wrote that late at night and quickly. I should have said
"design decision" rather than "limitation," For systems which don't do
multiple kernels it's not an issue.

I certainly would not have made the same decision, but I didn't write
the code. It seems more robust to save everything than to try to
identify what has and hasn't changed in a modular kernel.

Bill Davidsen <>