    SubjectRe: [2.6.21.1] resume doesn't run suspended kernel?
    Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Pavel Machek wrote:
    >> On Sat 2007-05-26 18:42:37, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was testing susp2disk in 2.6.21.1 under FC6, to support reliable
    >>> computing environment (RCE) needs. The idea is that if power fails,
    >>> after some short time on UPS the system does susp2disk with a time
    >>> set, and boots back every so often to see if power is stable.
    >>>
    >>> No, I don't want susp2mem until I debug it, console come up in
    >>> useless mode, console as kalidescope is not what I need.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I pulled the plug on the UPS, and the system shut down. But
    >>> when it powered up, it booted the default kernel rather than the
    >>> test kernel, decided that it couldn't resume, and then did a cold boot.
    >>>
    >>> I can bypass this by making the debug kernel the default, but WHY?
    >>
    >> HELL YES :-). We do not save kernel code into image.
    >>

    > That's clear, I'll have to use xen or kvm or similar which restores
    > the system as suspended. Thanks for the clarification of the limitations.

    Sorry, I wrote that late at night and quickly. I should have said
    "design decision" rather than "limitation," For systems which don't do
    multiple kernels it's not an issue.

    I certainly would not have made the same decision, but I didn't write
    the code. It seems more robust to save everything than to try to
    identify what has and hasn't changed in a modular kernel.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>