lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2007]   [May]   [27]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
SubjectRe: b44: regression in 2.6.22 (resend)
Date
I send this again because my first mail accidently had html code in it and 
might have been filtered by some people.

On Saturday 26 May 2007, Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007 02:24:31 Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Something is broken with the b44 driver in 2.6.22-rc1 or later. Now
> > bisecting. The performance (with iperf) for receiving is normally 94Mbits
> > or more. But something happened that dropped performance to less than
> > 1Mbit, probably corrupted packets.
> >
> > There is nothing obvious in the commit log for drivers/net/b44.c, so it
> > probably is something more general.
> >
> >
> > Looking at the code in b44_rx(), I see a couple unrelated of bugs:
> > 1. In the small packet case it recycles the skb before copying data
> > out... Not good if new data arrives overwriting existing data.
> >
> > 2. Macros like RX_PKT_BUF_SZ that depend on local variables are evil!!
>
> Very interesting!
> 2.6.22 doesn't include ssb, does it?
>
> Adding CCs to make reporters of another bugreport aware of this.

I did some more tests with my BCM4401 and different kernels, here are the
results:

2.6.21.1:

iperf:
[ 5] local 192.168.1.2 port 58414 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 5001
[ 5] 0.0-60.6 sec 1.13 MBytes 157 Kbits/sec
[ 4] local 192.168.1.2 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 57837
[ 4] 0.0-63.1 sec 2.82 MBytes 375 Kbits/sec

koala:~# ping -c10 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.241 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.215 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.230 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.238 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.229 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.228 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.231 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.229 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.228 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.237 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 8998ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.215/0.230/0.241/0.018 ms
The system was unusable while i ran the iperf test, when I moved the mouse it
was only jumping around and doing anything like starting programs or
switching the desktop first happend after iperf had finished it's test.

I did a http downlaod with wget and got 11.23M/s.


2.6.22-rc3:

[ 5] local 192.168.1.2 port 46557 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 5001
[ 5] 0.0-60.4 sec 58.9 MBytes 8.18 Mbits/sec
[ 4] local 192.168.1.2 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 51633
[ 4] 0.0-63.1 sec 7.27 MBytes 967 Kbits/sec

koala:~# ping -c10 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.243 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.234 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.238 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.235 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.230 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.317 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.232 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.232 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.228 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.238 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 8997ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.228/0.242/0.317/0.031 ms
System responsiveness was the same as with 2.6.21.1.

wget got 11.23M/s, again same as 2.6.21.1.


2.6.22-rc2-mm1:

[ 5] local 192.168.1.2 port 42198 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 5001
[ 5] 0.0-60.1 sec 402 MBytes 56.1 Mbits/sec
[ 4] local 192.168.1.2 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.1 port 48598
[ 4] 0.0-63.0 sec 177 MBytes 23.6 Mbits/sec

koala:~# ping -c10 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=39.8 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=52.7 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=86.7 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=8.22 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=32.1 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=56.0 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=80.0 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=1.52 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=25.4 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=49.3 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.526/43.207/86.700/26.369 ms
Here system responsiveness was ok whil I ran iperf, I didn't notic anything
anomalous.

When I tried the wget http download the tranfer did stall and from this point
on I couldn't send or receive anything on my BCM4401 anymore. Taken the
interface down and up again didn't help anything. I wonder if this is Uwe's
problem

on all the kernels there apperaded nothing special in dmesg.

for the iperf test I connect my BCM4401 directly with an e100. The system with
the e100 was iperf server and ran fine all over the test.

Maxi
[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-signature]
\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2007-05-27 21:29    [from the cache]
©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans