    SubjectRe: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: Parts of Alsa sound architecture broken
    Em Sáb, 2007-05-26 às 12:51 +0200, Jan Engelhardt escreveu:
    > On May 25 2007 23:33, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > >
    > >Yeah, I'll check it again if reposted. Jan, could you split ALSA
    > >portins at the next time?
    >
    > How much split? This time, I made four out of it.
    >
    > >This will make testing and merging much
    > >easier for me...
    > >
    > >But, above all, I'm not convinced much by that patch, especially
    > >because it introduces new kconfigs just for menuconfig.
    > >For example, CONFIG_SND_PCI_DRIVERS doesn't appear in any Makefiles.
    >
    > Neither is/was CONFIG_DVB IIRC. The world does not stop turning just
    > because there are now extra options. If you want the functionality
    > of menuconfigs without introducing some variable to store their state,
    > well, I think that's going to be a bigger kconf patch. (Just think of
    > compatibility of the .config format.)

    I suspect that kconf is not properly handing the newer way for
    menuconfig. Maybe this is the same stuff that happened on ALSA.

    We have some stuff like this:

    menuconfig VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS
    bool "Video capture adapters"
    depends on VIDEO_DEV

    if VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS

    config VIDEO_VIVI
    tristate "Virtual Video Driver"
    depends on VIDEO_V4L2 && !SPARC32 && !SPARC64 && PCI
    select VIDEO_BUF

    endif #VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS

    config VIDEO_BUF
    depends on PCI
    tristate

    Before adding menuconfig, VIDEO_VIVI were dependent on VIDEO_DEV. After
    the patch, what happens is that:
    if
    VIDEO_DEV='m' and VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS='y' and VIDEO_VIVI='m'
    then
    VIDEO_BUF='y'

    But, as video-buf is dependent on video-core (compiled as a module,
    since VIDEO_DEV='m'), it is generating compilation errors.

    To fix it, I needed to add an explicit dependency on VIDEO_VIVI (and
    also on VIDEO_SAA7146_VV):

    http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb?cmd=changeset;node=5cd49ffd9004;style=gitweb

    I didn't looked inside kconf, but it seems that it is not checking that,
    as VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS depends on VIDEO_DEV, all drivers inside the
    "if" should also depend on VIDEO_DEV.

    Cheers,
    Mauro

      Last update: 2007-05-26 16:41    [W:0.025 / U:0.192 seconds]