SubjectRe: PCIE
On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 03:49:10PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 19:03:12 +0400
>
> > i presume then i shouldn't be using IRQF_SHARED, if using MSI.
>
> That's actually a really good question.
>
> It is likely architecture dependant whether the PCI controller wires
> unique MSI interrupts to shared cpu interrupt lines.

MSI (and MSI-X) vectors are required to be exclusive.
I submitted that change to pci.txt last year:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/25/2

and ISTR I've posted that bit of the PCI spec a few years ago.
But it probably was to linux-pci mailing list only.

> I can imagine many systems where the cpu simply doesn't have enough
> interrupt pins to uniquely identify every possible MSI interrupt
> source.

The cpus haven't been using interrupt pins for a long time now.
Anything with a Local-xAPIC is already using transactions to
signal interrupts even if the OS isn't aware of it.

hth,
grant