SubjectRe: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review
Hi.

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 21:49 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2007, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> >
> > Does that mean you never ever power off your laptop (assuming you have
> > one), and the battery never runs out? Surely you must power it off
> > completely sometimes?
>
> So? The bootup isn't that much worse than a disk suspend/resume, and it's
> reliable.
>
> And actually, I don't use laptops much. I use mostly desktops, and STR
> works fine on at least some of them. In contrast, doing some
> suspend-to-disk thing would just be insane and idiotic. If I have to wait
> for half a minute and have a slow system even after that because my git
> trees aren't in the cache, I really might as well just shut them off.
>
> In contrast, STR means they are quiet and don't waste energy when I don't
> use them, but they're instantly available when I care. HUGE difference.
>
> I really think suspend-to-disk is just a total waste of my time.

Ah. That's because you're using [u]swsusp. If you used Suspend2, your
git trees would be in the cache, your system wouldn't be slow and you'd
still be back up in that half a minute or so - probably less time. Give
it a try for a week, and then go back to rebooting. After that, tell me
rebooting is better and I've wasted the last 5 or 6 years improving the
code.

Regards,

Nigel

  Last update: 2007-05-25 07:21    [W:0.138 / U:2.660 seconds]