SubjectRe: How to access correctly serial port inside module?

Tilman Schmidt schrieb:
> Am 15.05.2007 10:43 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
>>> That's not nice, sending a newbie on a wild goose chase like that.
>>> He doesn't want to write to a file from kernel after all. Reading
>>> FAQs is never bad, of course, but reading that particular one
>>> won't help him at all with this questions.
>> The original poster is quite unclear about how he wants to access the
>> serial port. [...]
>> Unfortunately, my magic sphere is out of order, so I could only take
>> a really really vague guess at what was wanted.
>
> He asked about "the correct way". The document you cited will just
> warn him against one of the many incorrect ones. That's less helpful
> than not answering at all.

>>> This is even less nice. You're sending him down the road of
>>> directly programming UART registers, knowing full well (I hope)
>>> that this a Bad Thing.
>> This is how 8250.c works.
>
> Exactly. Which is one reason why other parts of the kernel should not
> do it themselves. (Another being of course that if you do it that way,
> your code will only work with that particular type of serial port
> hardware. As the last of the Ten Commandments for C Programmers has
> been declaring for ages, you shouldn't assume that "All the world's a
> VAX^WPC.")
>
> HTH
> T.

ok, I have read everything and also have read the chapters about
tty_drivers. However I'm not really understand, how to ... .

I will summarize the concrete scenario, which will lead to the
understanding and further solution of deadling with serial driver.

[scenario]

1. in userspace I'm doing: > date > /dev/ttyS0
2. in kernelspace I want to print out this date.

[/scenario]

I'm really new to kernel coding, that's why I maybe understand some
functions not the proper way.

I'm a bit confused.
begin:vcard
fn:Lars K.W. Gohlke
n:Gohlke;Lars K.W.
email;internet:lkwg82@gmx.de
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

  Last update: 2007-05-24 12:25    [W:0.069 / U:0.160 seconds]