    SubjectRe: Status of CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING?
    Date
    On Thursday 24 May 2007 12:29 pm, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > On May 23 2007 23:22, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > >
    > >And we need only two different inline levels (__always_inline and
    > >"let the compiler decide"), not three (__always_inline, inline and
    > >"let the compiler decide").
    >
    > "inline" is "let the compiler decide".

    The compiler decides anyway. That's why we need a noinline to tell it _not_
    to spontaneously inline things it shouldn't.

    > If it is not, then it is "let the
    > compiler decide, based on my bias that I think it should be inlined".

    Things like unlikely() actually produce different code (and are, technically
    speaking, workarounds for the high branch misprediction penalty in modern
    processor designs).

    Things like "register" are a hint to the compiler that it's free to ignore.
    How often do we use the "register" keyword in Linux? Register allocation is
    totally different on different processors, and deprived of context the hint
    is almomst meaningless. If it doesn't guarantee anything and has far less of
    a performance impact than the difference between -O2 and -Os (or between gcc
    3.4 and 4.1), then it's probably an unnecessary complication.

    Inlining is even worse because whether or not it's a performance win depends
    on the L1 cache size, cache line size and alignment, L2 cache, DRAM fetch
    latency, and so on. This varies all over the map within a given processor
    line, let alone between processors.

    If we actually need something inlined, we can tell it to do so reliably with
    __always_inline (and change __always_inline to be MORE explicit each time gcc
    breaks the previous way of saying "yes really inline it dammit"). If we can
    live with it not being inlined, why not leave it to the compiler whether or
    not to inline it?

    Rob

      Last update: 2007-05-24 19:45    [W:0.021 / U:1.208 seconds]