    SubjectRe: Sched - graphic smoothness under load - cfs-v13 sd-0.48
    Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
    > Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >> I was unable to reproduce the numbers Miguel generated, comments
    >> below. The -ck2 patch seems to run nicely, although the memory
    >> repopulation from swap would be most useful on system which have a
    >> lot of memory pressure.
    >> I spent a few hours running the -ck2 patch, and I didn't see any
    >> numbers like yours. What I did see is going up with my previous
    >> results as While
    >> there were still some minor pauses in glxgears with my test,
    >> performance was very similar to the sd-0.48 results. And I did try
    >> watching video with high load, without problems. Only when I run a
    >> lot of other screen-changing processes can I see pauses in the display.
    >>> Your subjective impressions would be helpful, and you may find that
    >>> the package in the is slightly easier to
    >>> use and gives more stable results. The documentation suggests the
    >>> way to take samples (the way I did it) but if you feel more or
    >>> longer samples would help it is tunable.
    >>> I added Con to the cc list, he may have comments or suggestions
    >>> (against the current versions, please). Or he may feel that video
    >>> combined with other heavy screen updating is unrealistic or not his
    >>> chosen load. I'm told the load is similar to games which use threads
    >>> and do lots of independent action, if that's a reference.
    >> I'll include the -ck2 patch in my testing on other hardware.
    > Hi Bill,
    > the numbers i posted before are repeatable on that machine.
    The numbers you posted in <> are not the
    same... From my inbox I grab some very non-matching values:
    Here's the funny part...

    Lets call:

    a) to "random number of processes run while glxgears is running",
    gl_fairloops file

    b) to "generated frames while running a burst of processes" aka "massive
    and uknown amount of operations in one process", gl_gears file

    kernel 2.6.21-cfs-v13 2.6.21-ck2
    a) 194464 254669
    b) 54159 124

    The numbers in your glitch1.html file show a close correlation for cfs
    and -ck2, well within what I would expect. The stddev for the loops is
    larger for -cf2, but not out of line with what I see, and nothing like
    the numbers you originally sent me (which may have been testing
    something else, or from an old version before I made improvements, or
    ???). In any case thanks for testing.

    > I did run, again, glitch1 on my laptop (T2500 CoreDuo, also Nvidia)
    > please check:
    Thanks, those data seem as expected.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2007-05-23 22:47    [W:0.044 / U:21.516 seconds]