    SubjectRe: [stable] Wanted: Allow adding new device IDs during the -stable cycle
    On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:53:53PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:47:33AM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
    > > On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:14:44PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    > > > I'd like to propose we allow adding new device IDs as part
    > > > of the -stable process, but only under certain conditions:
    > >
    > > Who would be the primary benifactor of this?
    > >
    > > The very large majority of users out there use a distro kernel, and they
    > > provide the ids whenever possible as patches to their kernels, _or_ as a
    > > config option at startup that adds the ids to the drivers through sysfs.
    >
    > It does mean however that there's lots of duplicated work between
    > distros as everyone adds these patches anyway.

    But distros don't all standardize on the same -stable release anyway, so
    I don't see how a large ammount of duplicated work happens here.

    > > What's wrong with the current sysfs way of adding new device ids without
    > > touching the kernel?
    >
    > sure, that works in some cases, but for others (quirks etc) it obviously doesn't.

    I totally agree, and have never objected to quirk additions in the past.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2007-05-22 21:43    [W:0.020 / U:0.952 seconds]