SubjectRe: [stable] Wanted: Allow adding new device IDs during the -stable cycle
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:53:53PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:47:33AM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:14:44PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> > > I'd like to propose we allow adding new device IDs as part
> > > of the -stable process, but only under certain conditions:
> >
> > Who would be the primary benifactor of this?
> >
> > The very large majority of users out there use a distro kernel, and they
> > provide the ids whenever possible as patches to their kernels, _or_ as a
> > config option at startup that adds the ids to the drivers through sysfs.
>
> It does mean however that there's lots of duplicated work between
> distros as everyone adds these patches anyway.

But distros don't all standardize on the same -stable release anyway, so
I don't see how a large ammount of duplicated work happens here.

> > What's wrong with the current sysfs way of adding new device ids without
> > touching the kernel?
>
> sure, that works in some cases, but for others (quirks etc) it obviously doesn't.

I totally agree, and have never objected to quirk additions in the past.

thanks,

greg k-h