SubjectRe: bug in 2.6.22-rc2: loop mount limited to one single iso image
On 5/21/07, Ken Chen <kenchen@google.com> wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> > I don't have much choice. I assume it is
> >
> > commit 73285082 "remove artificial software max_loop limit"
> >
> > that introduced the new behaviour. Ken?
>
> yes and no. in that commit, I automatically create n+1 device when
> loop device n is created, allergically was tested to be fine with
> casual usage of "losetup" and "mount -o loop". However, there is a
> bug in that commit when loop.c was compiled as a module. And when Al
> fixed it, he also removed that magic "n+1" trick.

As I said before, the reporter *tested* with Al's two patches
reverted, AND IT STILL FAILED. Your commit had to be reverted as well
to fix the problem.

> Nevertheless, yes, I'm guilty of introducing the new behavior.

It's not a behavior, it's a bug. Whether you reintroduce the n+1
inductive trick is immaterial to the problem at hand. loop.c needs to
populate 8 or max_loop devices upon init to maintain current behavior.

  Last update: 2007-05-21 18:37    [W:0.091 / U:0.476 seconds]