SubjectRe: bug in 2.6.22-rc2: loop mount limited to one single iso image
On 5/21/07, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> Yes. Can somebody who actually _uses_ loop send a tested patch, please?
>
> We're not going to break existing user space over something idiotic like
> this. Not acceptable.
>
> The alternative is to just revert all the loop.c patches. Which I'll do
> unless somebody sends me a tested fix - because as a non-loop user myself,
> I don't have much choice. I assume it is
>
> commit 73285082 "remove artificial software max_loop limit"
>
> that introduced the new behaviour. Ken?

yes and no. in that commit, I automatically create n+1 device when
loop device n is created, allergically was tested to be fine with
casual usage of "losetup" and "mount -o loop". However, there is a
bug in that commit when loop.c was compiled as a module. And when Al
fixed it, he also removed that magic "n+1" trick.

Nevertheless, yes, I'm guilty of introducing the new behavior.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans