SubjectRe: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans: slub
On Wed, 2 May 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > At some point I dream that SLUB could become the default but I thought
> > this would take at least 6 month or so. If want to force this now then I
> > will certainly have some busy weeks ahead.
> s/dream/promise/ ;)
> Six months sounds reasonable - I was kind of hoping for less. Make it
> default-to-on in 2.6.23-rc1, see how it goes.

Here is how I think the future could develop

2.6.22 API fixes Stabilization API fixes

Major event: SLUB availability as experimental

2.6.23 API upgrades Perf. Valid. EOL

Major events: SLUB performance validation. Switch off
experimental (could even be the default)
Slab allocators support targeted reclaim for at
least one slab cache (dentry?)
(vacate/move all objects in a slab)

2.6.24 Earliest EOL Stable - Experiments

Major events: SLUB stable. Stable targeted reclaim
for all major reclaimable slabs.
Maybe experiments with another new allocator?

2.6.25 EOL default - ?

Death of SLAB. SLUB default. Hopefully new ideas on the horizon.