    SubjectRe: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans: slub
    On Wed, 2 May 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > At some point I dream that SLUB could become the default but I thought
    > > this would take at least 6 month or so. If want to force this now then I
    > > will certainly have some busy weeks ahead.
    > s/dream/promise/ ;)
    > Six months sounds reasonable - I was kind of hoping for less. Make it
    > default-to-on in 2.6.23-rc1, see how it goes.

    Here is how I think the future could develop

    2.6.22 API fixes Stabilization API fixes

    Major event: SLUB availability as experimental

    2.6.23 API upgrades Perf. Valid. EOL

    Major events: SLUB performance validation. Switch off
    experimental (could even be the default)
    Slab allocators support targeted reclaim for at
    least one slab cache (dentry?)
    (vacate/move all objects in a slab)

    2.6.24 Earliest EOL Stable - Experiments

    Major events: SLUB stable. Stable targeted reclaim
    for all major reclaimable slabs.
    Maybe experiments with another new allocator?

    2.6.25 EOL default - ?

    Death of SLAB. SLUB default. Hopefully new ideas on the horizon.

      Last update: 2007-05-02 21:47    [W:0.023 / U:2.040 seconds]