    SubjectRe: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v12
    On 18/05/07, Peter Williams <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > One thing that might work is to jitter the load balancing interval a
    > bit. The reason I say this is that one of the characteristics of top
    > and gkrellm is that they run at a more or less constant interval (and,
    > in this case, X would also be following this pattern as it's doing
    > screen updates for top and gkrellm) and this means that it's possible
    > for the load balancing interval to synchronize with their intervals
    > which in turn causes the observed problem. A jittered load balancing
    > interval should break the synchronization. This would certainly be
    > simpler than trying to change the move_task() logic for selecting which
    > tasks to move.

    Just an(quick) another idea. Say, the load balancer would consider not
    only p->load_weight but also something like Tw(task) =
    (time_spent_on_runqueue / total_task's_runtime) * some_scale_constant
    as an additional "load" component (OTOH, when a task starts, it takes
    some time for this parameter to become meaningful). I guess, it could
    address the scenarios your have described (but maybe break some others
    as well :) ...
    Any hints on why it's stupid?

    > Peter
    > --