SubjectRe: Via C3/C7: other flags possible ?
On 19/05/07 23:36, Christian Volkmann wrote:
> Christian Volkmann wrote:
>> Claas asked for the NX flag for the Via C3 (?) processors
>> in another thread.

If you read the other thread properly you'd see that the BIOS has
an option to enable or disable it... when enabled it shows up.

>> I do not know another synonym for this?
>>
>> Claas Langbehn wrote:
>>> Hello Christian,
>>>
>>> do you know if and how it's possible to enable NX_bit too?
>
> C7 Esther:
> Hmm, I expect the NX-Bit should be detected from linux during the
> boot. The NX function bit seems to be at the same place where it's
> located for other CPU.
> Unfortunately I have no C7 hardware and I am too much a beginner
> in kernel programming to prepare this "dry".
>
> May be a "senior kernel programmer" can easy check if the C7 runs
> through the regular NX-function detection?

NX is detected ok on the C7:

processor : 0
vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : VIA Esther processor 1500MHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce apic sep mtrr pge cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm nx pni est tm2 rng rng_en ace ace_en ace2 ace2_en phe phe_en pmm pmm_en
bogomips : 1601.18
clflush size : 64

I can't reboot that box just to test cx8 detection (which is missing).

--
Simon Arlott