    SubjectRe: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v13
    On Friday 18 May 2007 15:56:07 Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Anant Nitya <> wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Been testing this version of CFS from last an hour or so and still
    > > facing same lag problems while browsing sites with heavy JS and or
    > > flash usage. Mouse movement is pathetic and audio starts to skip. I
    > > haven't face this behavior with CFS till v11.
    > i have just tried 5 different versions of the Flash plugin and i cannot
    > reproduce this (flash games are still smooth and acceptable even with
    > the system significantly overloaded with 5 infite loops or with a kernel
    > build), so it would be nice if you could help me debug this problem.
    > The last version that worked for you was v11, correct? The biggest v11
    > -> v12 change was the yield workaround, and while testing your workload
    > i also noticed that all Flash versions except the latest one (9.0 r31)
    > use sys_sched_yield() quite frequently. So it would be nice to know
    > which plugin version you are using (and which Firefox version): you can
    > check that by typing about:plugins into firefox. Furthermore, could you
    > also try the following tune:
    > echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_yield_bug_workaround
    > and this:
    > echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_yield_bug_workaround
    > if none of this changes behavior then please send me the output of the
    > following:
    > strace -ttt -TTT -o strace.txt -f -p `pidof firefox-bin`
    > < reproduce the lag in firefox >
    > < Ctrl-C the strace >
    > and send me the strace.txt file (off-line, it's going to be large).
    > Thanks,
    Hi Ingo,

    Please ignore my last report about lag problem while using CFS-v13, it is
    working perfectly fine with and the lag I used to see in v12 is not
    there with v13 anymore. After digging in a bit I found that problem is only
    occurring in 2.6.22-rc1 and it get fired by network usage while transmitting
    data upstream. I don't have any evidence that CFS is involved in lag problem
    since 2.6.22-rc1 with stock scheduler is also having same lag problem and it
    seems directly proportional with upstream speed while downstream doesn't
    shows any misbehavior { at lower upstream speed lag is less but with higher
    upstream speed system starts crawling and system load hitting to 70/75}. Lets
    see how 2.6.22-rc2 is doing.

    > Ingo

    Out of many thousands, one may endeavor for perfection, and of
    those who have achieved perfection, hardly one knows Me in truth.
    -- Gita Sutra Of Mysticism

      Last update: 2007-05-19 23:19    [W:0.028 / U:27.768 seconds]