    SubjectRe: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v13
    Date
    On Friday 18 May 2007 15:56:07 Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Anant Nitya <kernel@prachanda.info> wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Been testing this version of CFS from last an hour or so and still
    > > facing same lag problems while browsing sites with heavy JS and or
    > > flash usage. Mouse movement is pathetic and audio starts to skip. I
    > > haven't face this behavior with CFS till v11.
    >
    > i have just tried 5 different versions of the Flash plugin and i cannot
    > reproduce this (flash games are still smooth and acceptable even with
    > the system significantly overloaded with 5 infite loops or with a kernel
    > build), so it would be nice if you could help me debug this problem.
    >
    > The last version that worked for you was v11, correct? The biggest v11
    > -> v12 change was the yield workaround, and while testing your workload
    > i also noticed that all Flash versions except the latest one (9.0 r31)
    > use sys_sched_yield() quite frequently. So it would be nice to know
    > which plugin version you are using (and which Firefox version): you can
    > check that by typing about:plugins into firefox. Furthermore, could you
    > also try the following tune:
    Hi
    I am using konqueror and about:plugins gives back this information regarding
    flashplayer.
    Shockwave Flash Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31 libflashplayer.so
    application/x-shockwave-flash - Shockwave Flash (swf)
    application/futuresplash - FutureSplash Player (spl)

    > echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_yield_bug_workaround
    >
    > and this:
    >
    > echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_yield_bug_workaround

    These values do visibly makes browsing smooth but it still lags though lag
    time is less compared to original values.

    > if none of this changes behavior then please send me the output of the
    > following:
    >
    > strace -ttt -TTT -o strace.txt -f -p `pidof firefox-bin`
    > < reproduce the lag in firefox >
    > < Ctrl-C the strace >
    >
    > and send me the strace.txt file (off-line, it's going to be large).
    > Thanks,
    I am sending you all these information off list.

    Regards
    Ananitya

      Last update: 2007-05-18 20:25    [W:0.026 / U:31.160 seconds]