    SubjectRe: Clear PG_error before reading a page
    On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:12:17AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Basically, my problem is that afterwards, when the device no longer returns
    > > any errors, the PG_error flag is never cleared and, as a result, I keep
    > > getting -EIO. That's the problem I'd like to address.
    > >
    > hm, OK. So, where are we up to?

    Once the errors reported by the underlying device are corrected, we must
    unmount/remount the filesystem if we want to use it.
    In fact, since readahead ignores I/O errors, the pagecache is populated
    with pages having the PG_error flag set and buffers attached.
    Since PG_error is then never cleared, we keep getting EIO despite that
    the underlying device works just fine.

    > What is the actual real-world operational scenario here? Would it be a
    > hotplugged disk? A transient network failure in a SAN? IOW, is it
    > something from which the kernel should automatically recover, or it is a
    > situation in which manual intervention would be better?

    The real-world operational scenario is a storage system reporting medium
    errors which can be corrected by a manual intervention.

      Last update: 2007-05-17 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:3.944 seconds]