    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.22-rc1
    On 5/15/07, Tilman Schmidt <tilman@imap.cc> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I do agree that anything non-essential (even if it's just a presentation
    > > menu that doesn't affect builds) must be default n.
    >
    > It's tricky for "make oldconfig" when introducing a new "menuconfig"
    > around some previously existing "config"s, because just accepting
    > the default for the new option then causes previously selected
    > ones to be silently dropped. But I don't know a perfect solution
    > for that. Perhaps we'll just have to live with it. Or perhaps a
    > warning message along the line of "deselecting option xxx" would
    > be in order.
    > [...]
    > It's actually the other way around, all those options now tucked
    > underneath the menuconfig were previously directly visible, so
    > selecting "y" (either explicitly or by default) makes everything
    > work as before while "n" very conveniently skips them all.

    Jan did mention this in the previous thread, but as Jens said,
    these problems would occur only the _first_ time someone
    transitions from the old .config's to the new scheme. But those
    "default y"s for all the various "configmenu"s (let's please call
    them that) that got introduced in the Kconfig files would cause
    unnecessary annoyance to users of make oldconfig _for ever_.

      Last update: 2007-05-16 03:43    [W:4.062 / U:0.068 seconds]