SubjectRe: Standalone swap prefetch patch for mainline
Con Kolivas wrote:
> I've had a few requests for a standalone patch implementing swap prefetch for
> mainline.
> Here is a patch that is a current rollup that should apply and work for
> vanilla 2.6.21 (ie not a -ck kernel):

Heh.. 20 mins after I finished scraping the relevant bits from -ck1 and patching my kernel this arrives!

<WARNING - Fanboy rant ahead>

I don't normally get/take the time to pass personal comment, but I have to say Con I've just taken a
2.6.21 kernel, applied your 0.48 SD scheduler and swap-prefetch from -ck1 (needed to separate them
out so I could also apply suspend2) and it's like I've bought a new machine.

I'm running on a tiny Vaio with a 4800RPM 1.8" drive, so it's not fast by any stretch of the
imagination. But the combination of SD and swap-prefetch has given it a new lease on life completely.

Really, you have done a great job with SD. I was so impressed I built a new kernel for my Core Duo
Mac Mini with the full 2.6.21-ck1 patchset. I wish I'd tried it years ago!

This also prompted me to have a play with CFS, but for my desktop workload on either machine, SD
just "felt" better (for whatever that may be worth).

+1 for SD
+1 for swap-prefetch