    SubjectRe: [RFD] Freezing of kernel threads

    On Sat, 12 May 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > If you fail to do that, we'll see freezer failure, quickly, and catch
    > the simple bug.

    "It's a feature to add crap to drivers and subsystems that don't care!"

    That's a novel thing.

    Maybe we could add other features too. Like a "IM_NOT_AN_IDIOT" flag that
    every driver has to set in it's "struct device", so that the device
    manager knows that it wasn't written by an idiot.

    > I'm afraid that if we default to "do not freeze by default", someone
    > will just port zfs, will know nothing about suspend, and his
    > "write management info somewhere periodically" thread will corrupt
    > people's disks.

    Right. That's what the IM_NOT_AN_IDIOT thing will do too - it will
    guarantee that only smart people do the right thing.

    Great idea. We'll get a better kernel in no tim!

      Last update: 2007-05-12 21:43    [W:0.019 / U:14.096 seconds]