SubjectRe: [RFD] Freezing of kernel threads

On Sat, 12 May 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

> If you fail to do that, we'll see freezer failure, quickly, and catch
> the simple bug.

"It's a feature to add crap to drivers and subsystems that don't care!"

That's a novel thing.

Maybe we could add other features too. Like a "IM_NOT_AN_IDIOT" flag that
every driver has to set in it's "struct device", so that the device
manager knows that it wasn't written by an idiot.

> I'm afraid that if we default to "do not freeze by default", someone
> will just port zfs, will know nothing about suspend, and his
> "write management info somewhere periodically" thread will corrupt
> people's disks.

Right. That's what the IM_NOT_AN_IDIOT thing will do too - it will
guarantee that only smart people do the right thing.

Great idea. We'll get a better kernel in no tim!

Linus

  Last update: 2007-05-12 21:43    [W:0.336 / U:0.040 seconds]