    SubjectRe: 2.6.20 libata cdrom
    Tejun Heo wrote:
    > Mark Lord wrote:
    >> And this is the second one today where it would be very useful
    >> to see a tf dump. It's time to add one to that code patch, methinks.
    > Yeah, we have all these fancy ata_msg_() thingies which can be used to
    > provide a lot of debugging info without affecting hot path. We're just
    > too lazy to actually use it. :-( Putting it on my ever growing to-do list.

    The thing about failures is, we're lucky enough to ever see even a single
    end-user error log. So when we do get the *one* error log from grandma,
    it had better contain sufficient info for us to at least guess at the
    solution, because grandma has gone back to OS/X in the meanwhile. ;)

    It's a good thing that failure paths are not normally "hot".
    We can load those up with a little extra info, so long as they
    cannot normally be trigged from userspace to generate a Denial-Of-Service
    style of attack.

    I think libata drive probing is a pretty safe area to show lots
    of information (by default) when something goes wrong.

      Last update: 2007-05-01 15:45    [W:0.022 / U:9.344 seconds]