SubjectRe: [RFC] pata_icside driver
Russell King wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 07:13:05AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> It should be noted, mainly for russell's benefit, that the ->irq_ack()
>> hook is only called if a debug define is manually enabled in libata.h,
>> in a single callsite.
>> The number of people that actually use the hook -- kernel hackers
>> debugging screaming interrupts -- can probably be counted on one hand.
> Ok, in that case it makes sense for me to set this to ata_dummy_irq_ack
> since I don't have any additional status registers specific to the
> interface.
> Presumably a similar change to pata_platform.c would be appropriate?

I was just pointing out the practical reality.

The proper implementation of the hook is likely /not/ a dummy on your

I presume you clear the interrupt condition by reading the ATA shadow
register 'Status', like most other SFF-like controllers, so your
implementation of ->irq_ack() should reflect that.

The proper implementation is basically what Alan described:
ata_irq_ack() minus the BMDMA bitbanging.