    SubjectRe: I give up
    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:08:34 EDT, Jeff Garzik said:
    >> With current hard drive prices (200GB @ US$55, 500GB @ US$120) you can
    >> just keep buying hard drives :)
    >>
    >> Surely tape price/GB is higher than hard drive price/GB...
    >
    > Erm. No. We're in the middle of installing an StorageTek SL8500 for backups,
    > simply because an LTO3 tape holds 300G at a price point of $100 or so.
    > And there's no sane way to build a half-petabyte disk farm at that price.
    > (And yes, our tape backup service is well into the half-petabyte range, and
    > will probably shoot over that as soon as the SL8500 is in production and we
    > deal with all the backlogged requests for backup service).
    >
    > Don't forget to factor in the cost of disk shelves, power, cooling, and all
    > that when you're building something to hold 2,500 200G drives. Oh. and
    > controllers. And machines to put the controllers in... and all the rest of it.

    Who says you have to keep the hard drives plugged into a machine at all
    times?

    > And remember - you *dont* want to be backing up critical data on the sort of
    > hard drives that cost $55 for 200G - you'll want multiple copies, probably
    > some RAID, etc etc.

    The same can be said for tape. Anyone who only has a single tape backup
    of critical data is an idiot. Plenty of war stories where such
    scenarios go awry...

    Jeff

      Last update: 2007-04-09 22:49    [W:0.112 / U:0.596 seconds]