    SubjectRe: Add a norecovery option to ext3/4?
    Eric Sandeen wrote:
    > Samuel Thibault wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> Distribution installers usually try to probe OSes for building a suited
    >> grub menu. Unfortunately, mounting an ext3 partition, even in read-only
    >> mode, does perform some operations on the filesystem (log recovery).
    >> This is not a good idea since it may silently garbage data.
    > Can you elaborate? Under what circumstances is log replay going to harm
    > data? Do you mean that the installer mounts partitions, looking for
    > what OS is installed? How is that harmful?

    It'll wreak havoc on my hibernated system when I've suspended it to do a test OS install on one of
    my spare partitions. The log replay will go fine, but then when the system resumes it's idea of
    what's on the disk won't match what is really there and ugly, ugly things happen.

      Last update: 2007-04-09 06:37    [W:0.019 / U:3.356 seconds]