    SubjectRe: coding style for long conditions

    > > So in practical terms "\n \t" and "\n\t" are identical;
    > > although the former "should not" be used, it doesn't
    > > actually affect what CodingStyle is primarily trying to
    > > control (i.e. what the code looks like).
    > That's not what CodingStyle is trying to control. Not "what the
    > code looks like" at all.

    That's news to many folk. "What the code looks like" has always
    been the fundamental reason to have coding conventions. If you
    look at coding convention documents over the last fifty years or
    so you will notice that's what they're about ... even back in the
    days when "text" came on punched cards or line printer output.

    The "extraneous hidden whitespace" stuff is sort of a new issue.
    I happened across a discussion of it on the GCC list last month ...
    it's a meme that wasn't widespread even five years ago.

    That "get a decent editor" thing is because some editors are so deeply
    broken that they think it's actually OK to replace tabs with whitespace,
    or automatically add extraneous whitespace. Also, because some emailer
    tools do the same thing. (Yet another reason to dislike Microsoft, sigh.)

    Secondarily, it's also because having "hidden" spaces can cause hassles
    when maintaining code.

    Me, i've always been offended by all the wasted disk space, but I think
    I'm a minority there. ;)

    - Dave

      Last update: 2007-04-09 17:25    [W:0.023 / U:64.236 seconds]