    SubjectRe: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.
    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:47:36 PDT, said:
    > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:21:19 -0400, "Jan Harkes" <>

    > > With compression there is a pretty high probability that one corrupted
    > > byte or disk block will result in loss of a considerably larger amount
    > > of data.
    > Bad blocks are NOT dealt with by the filesystem,... so your comment is
    > irrelevant, or just plain wrong.
    > If your filesystem is writing to bad blocks, then throw away your
    > operating system.

    You know... occasionally, blocks go bad *after* you write to them. If
    you have an uncompressed filesystem, it's often possible to recover most
    of the file , and just have a few 512-byte blocks of zeros, simply by
    doing something like 'dd if=bad.file of=bad.file bs=512 conv=noerror'
    or careful applications of 'skip=N'. If it's compressed, you usually
    can't recover the rest of a compression group if a previous block is lost.

    (And for those who talk about backups - yes, taking backups is good.
    However, it's the rare laptop or desktop machine that can afford the
    luxury of RAID disks, and backups usually happen once a night, if that
    often. This means that if you've been working hard on something important
    all day, and the disk blows chunks at 4:30PM, you *will* be suddenly very
    concerned over exactly how much you can recover off the failing drive....

    And yes, I'd *love* to have all my users connected to nice SAN systems that do
    snapshotting and remote replication to DR sites and all that - but have you
    ever *priced* a petabyte of SAN storage, the NAS gateways to serve it to users,
    and upgrading several tens of thousands of network ports to Gig-E? Hint -
    US$1M would get us through a pilot, and probably $5M and up to *start*
    deployment. Anybody wanna buy us an EMC DMX-3? :)

      Last update: 2007-04-07 19:43    [W:0.027 / U:37.472 seconds]