    SubjectRe: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.
    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I don't really see the point. It's not even *true*. A "process" includes
    > > > more than the shared signal-handling - it would include files and fs etc
    > > > too.
    > > >
    > > > So it's actually *more* correct to call it the shared signal state than it
    > > > would be to call it "process" state.
    > >
    > > But "signal" has *nothing* to do with what the structure store nowadays,
    > > really. It's a pool of "things" that are not Linux task specific.
    > You're ignoring reality. It has more to do with signals than with
    > processes. Look at *all* the fields in the top half of the structure, up
    > to (and including) the "tty" field. They're *all* about signal semantics
    > in one form or another (whether it's directly about shared signal
    > behaviour, or indirectly about *sources* of signals like process control
    > or timers).
    > And renaming it really has no upsides, even *if* you had a point, which
    > you don't.

    OTOH, the other half of the fields has nothing to do with them (signals).
    Not only, the more time it passes, the more ppl (reason why I posted this
    comment in the beginning) sees the "struct signal_struct" has a boilerplate
    where to store shared resources.
    Chosing a name like "struct task_shared_ctx" fits it, because "signals"
    are *a* task_shared thing, whereas all the fields on the bottom of the
    "struct signal_struct" (on top of the ones that ppl will want to add
    everytime there's somethign to be shared between task structs) are *not* a

    - Davide

      Last update: 2007-04-07 01:03    [W:0.021 / U:0.344 seconds]