SubjectRe: 2.6.20.3 AMD64 oops in CFQ code
Tejun Heo wrote:
> [resending. my mail service was down for more than a week and this
> message didn't get delivered.]
>
> linux@horizon.com wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, what's annoying is that I can't figure out how to bring the
>>> drive back on line without resetting the box. It's in a hot-swap
>>>
> enclosure,
>
>>> but power cycling the drive doesn't seem to help. I thought libata
>>>
> hotplug
>
>>> was working? (SiI3132 card, using the sil24 driver.)
>>>

> Yeah, it's working but failing resets are considered highly dangerous
> (in that the controller status is unknown and may cause something
> dangerous like screaming interrupts) and port is muted after that. The
> plan is to handle this with polling hotplug such that libata tries to
> revive the port if PHY status change is detected by polling. Patches
> are available but they need other things to resolved to get integrated.
> I think it'll happen before the summer.
>
> Anyways, you can tell libata to retry the port by manually telling it to
> rescan the port (echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan).

I won't say that's voodoo, but if I ever did it I'd wipe down my
keyboard with holy water afterward. ;-)

Well, I did save the message in my tricks file, but it sounds like a
last ditch effort after something get very wrong.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc