    SubjectRe: 2.6.20.3 AMD64 oops in CFQ code
    Tejun Heo wrote:
    > [resending. my mail service was down for more than a week and this
    > message didn't get delivered.]
    >
    > linux@horizon.com wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyway, what's annoying is that I can't figure out how to bring the
    >>> drive back on line without resetting the box. It's in a hot-swap
    >>>
    > enclosure,
    >
    >>> but power cycling the drive doesn't seem to help. I thought libata
    >>>
    > hotplug
    >
    >>> was working? (SiI3132 card, using the sil24 driver.)
    >>>

    > Yeah, it's working but failing resets are considered highly dangerous
    > (in that the controller status is unknown and may cause something
    > dangerous like screaming interrupts) and port is muted after that. The
    > plan is to handle this with polling hotplug such that libata tries to
    > revive the port if PHY status change is detected by polling. Patches
    > are available but they need other things to resolved to get integrated.
    > I think it'll happen before the summer.
    >
    > Anyways, you can tell libata to retry the port by manually telling it to
    > rescan the port (echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan).

    I won't say that's voodoo, but if I ever did it I'd wipe down my
    keyboard with holy water afterward. ;-)

    Well, I did save the message in my tricks file, but it sounds like a
    last ditch effort after something get very wrong.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc