    SubjectRe: missing madvise functionality
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    > There are other ways of doing it - I guess we could use a new page flag to
    > indicate that this is one-of-those-pages, and add new code to handle it in
    > all the right places.

    That's what I did. I'm currently working on the
    zap_page_range() side of things.

    > One thing which we haven't sorted out with all this stuff: once the
    > application has marked an address range (and some pages) as
    > whatever-were-going-call-this-feature, how does the application undo that
    > change?

    It doesn't have to do anything. Just access the page and the
    MMU will mark it dirty/accessed and the VM will not reclaim
    it.

    > What effect will things like mremap, madvise and mlock have upon
    > these pages?

    Good point. I had not thought about these.

    Would you mind if I sent an initial proof of concept
    patch that does not take these into account, before
    we decide on what should happen in these cases? :)

    --
    Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
    the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group