    SubjectRe: missing madvise functionality
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    > There are other ways of doing it - I guess we could use a new page flag to
    > indicate that this is one-of-those-pages, and add new code to handle it in
    > all the right places.

    That's what I did. I'm currently working on the
    zap_page_range() side of things.

    > One thing which we haven't sorted out with all this stuff: once the
    > application has marked an address range (and some pages) as
    > whatever-were-going-call-this-feature, how does the application undo that
    > change?

    It doesn't have to do anything. Just access the page and the
    MMU will mark it dirty/accessed and the VM will not reclaim

    > What effect will things like mremap, madvise and mlock have upon
    > these pages?

    Good point. I had not thought about these.

    Would you mind if I sent an initial proof of concept
    patch that does not take these into account, before
    we decide on what should happen in these cases? :)

    Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
    the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group
    calls the other unpatriotic.

      Last update: 2007-04-04 20:53    [W:0.021 / U:2.932 seconds]