SubjectRe: MODULE_MAINTAINER
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 03:02:41PM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
>> Given modules with multiple authors, current and non-current, I believe
>> having "modinfo -m" tell the user whom to contact is an avantage.
>
> Much bigger problems are:
> - Who will maintain this information properly?
> - What about modules that are maintained implicitely by the subsystem
> maintainer?
>
> And often a user can't be expected to locate the source of a problem, or
> it might not be in a driver but in a subsystem.
>
> For vendor kernels, the user should contact the vendor.
> For ftp.kernel.org kernels, I don't see any better solution than telling
> people to report problems to linux-kernel or the kernel Bugzilla and
> routing them further from here.

Generelly it has to be kept in mind that there are different contacts
for different purposes:
- usage problems --> get in touch with the _support_
- bug reports --> get in touch with _maintainers_
- development --> get in touch with maintainers/ kernel hackers/
copyright holders...

The Amiga keyboard had a [Help] key, but this is not how it works.
--
Stefan Richter