    SubjectRe: [patch 04/17] Add pagetable accessors to pack and unpack pagetable entries
    Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > sure. i simply took the middle numbers. But there's definitely a 'few
    > percents' trend in the numbers.

    Yep. I guess the thing that coloured my summary is that I found overhead
    of unpatched paravirt_ops calls surprisingly small. I was really
    expecting more like ~10% hit, but only null syscall approached that.

    >>> this is not 'barely measurable' but 'BLOODY LARGE' overhead.
    >> Yes. Fortunately there's a noticable difference between native and
    >> unpatched paravirt, because it shows all the effort we put into
    >> patching is worthwhile.
    > if only it were not such an ugly piece of code? ;)

    Sigh, yes. I've cleaned it up a bit since the last post, and commented
    it, but I couldn't do much with its essential ugliness. But I guess it
    just got promoted from "ugly" to "ugly but necessary".

      Last update: 2007-04-04 18:13    [W:0.021 / U:1.828 seconds]