    SubjectRe: arch/i386/boot rewrite, and all the hard-coded video cards
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > At least my Asus board with 8Mb flash doesn't have anything called that.
    > There is also no special preboot environment
    > iirc Asus ships dual BIOS though, but even half that compressed is a lot.

    8 Mb or 8 MB? Big difference...

    So you have 512K worth of compressed code, most of which is running the
    configuration menus and code to do initialization and setup of the
    runtime environment (build tables, and so on.) That's not really BIOS,
    per se, in the sense of an interface; any firmware has to do that stuff
    no matter what.

      Last update: 2007-05-01 05:41    [W:0.025 / U:8.940 seconds]