Subject3d smoothness (was: Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v6)
Date
On Sunday 29 April 2007 19:39, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> hi Kasper,
>
> i found an aspect of CFS that could cause the kind of 'stuttering' you
> described in such detail. I'm wondering whether you could try the
> attached -v8-rc1 patch ontop of the -v7 CFS patch - does it improve the
> 'games FPS' situation in any way? Thanks in advance,
>
> Ingo

This patch makes things much worse, i'd categorize it as severe regression
compared to cfs 7. It makes the cursor in X stutter enormously, it even
caused my entire X to lock up for a second, and events like keyboard input is
totally wrecked, it lagged as i wrote in xchat. as for under load, it seems
only worse..

Also if i just press a link in konqueror on some website, while it loads, the
mouse is stuttering untill the page has loaded finished.

this seems weird because its such a relatively simple patch.

In the patchs defense, gtk seems to redraw faster (when, and only when 3d is
NOT running)

i also discovered another thing about cfs 7 (without this patch), which is
same behavior as old staircase/vanilla, but which SD actually fixes.

this is a wine case, where when it loads a level in world of warcraft, the
audio skips. I believe this to be a problem in wine, however, in sd it
actually does not skip. On the desktop however, the audio issues were totally
fixed in v7..

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

  Last update: 2007-04-30 19:49    [W:0.222 / U:0.652 seconds]