SubjectRe: [linux-dvb] Re: Critical points about kernel 2.6.21 and pseudo-authorities
Hi Helge and others,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Helge Hafting wrote:

>> what the consequence is. To be truthful I would strategically prefare a
>> vacuum at the price that the work isn't even done for months.
>> ONLY IF there is a personnel vacuum the necessity for others to volunteer
>> will arise.
>>
> A sufficiently bad maintainer will also do it. If lots of submitters send
> their patches to andrew in order to get past a dysfunctional maintainer,
> then the subsystem effectively is unmaintained.

The point is that Uwe patch will generate regressions by breaking for
Twinhan. His patch just removes compilation for dst and dst_ca on Kconfig,
without taking care or driver internals. So, two initialization functions
won't be called by symbol_request(). Although those two functions will be
undefined, as the dvb will do the linkedition at module runtume (if
DVB_ATTACH is selected), modprobe won't detect the lack of those functions.
At the end, cards with ST chips (DST and/or DST CA) will stop working,
without even printing a warning.

I've tried to explain this to Uwe several times, but, at the end, he
always start insulting me and/or other developers.

Cheers,
Mauro.

  Last update: 2007-04-30 18:59    [W:0.480 / U:0.052 seconds]