    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    Date
    On Sunday, 29 April 2007 21:14, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > > What did you find unfriendly?
    > >
    > > - You are required to select a category and 'component' for your report, which
    > > often is difficult (especially if you're not a kernel expert)
    >
    > Usually there is other and then someone else figures it out.
    >
    > > - You need to have a bugzilla account (or to create one, if you don't)
    > > - If you want to add an address to the CC list, it must be known to bugzilla
    > > and there's no (obvious) way to check which addresses are known (bugzilla
    > > rejects the report if there's a 'wrong' email address in the list) [IMO this is
    > > really really broken.]
    >
    > The Novell bugzilla actually has that fixed. You have a search email button
    > to look up addresses. Perhaps that feature will be ported someday into
    > the kernel.org one (I would like to have it too)
    >
    > > - You are asked to provide many details that need not be relevant and casual
    > > reporters don't know that they can skip this part
    > > - Attaching files is tedious and referring to attachments unintuitive
    >
    > Anyways that are mostly all detail (except the registration requirement) that
    > could be probably all easily fixed.
    >
    > > And I think they are two _totally_ conceptually different things. You report
    > > a bug to let somebody know that there's a problem and this doesn't necessarily
    >
    > The problem is we need a way to route those reports to the right people.
    > Routing it to a single person or broadcasting it just doesn't scale.
    > And the best way I know of is to use some database that keeps track of the state.
    >
    > That is what bugzilla is essentially.
    >
    > > For this reason there should be a simple means of filing initial bug reports
    > > with someone to look at them and forward them to appropriate people who will
    > > decide if the problem needs to be tracked. If they do, it's time to use
    > > bugzilla. Not earlier.
    >
    > The only sane way to do that would be to save them somewhere and keep
    > a list and then let a group of people process them.

    But emailed reports _are_ saved anyway and we _know_ how to get a copy.
    From lkml.org, for example. Why don't we use that? The only missing piece
    is the 'keep a list' thing, but that's not a rocket science, IMHO.

    [For example, you can create a bugzilla entry with a link to the lkml.org copy
    of the relevant message, so why to require the reporter to file the report with
    the bugzilla himself?]

    _Moreover_, some LKML archives, for example at http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel,
    keep track of each thread separately, so you can browse any of them at any
    time. In particular, you can see the _history_ of each bug report sent to LKML
    if you have a link to any message in its thread.

    Really, if we ask reporters to put '[BUG]' in the subjects of their messages,
    you'll even be able to use the lkml.org archives plus wget and a couple of
    shell scripts to cherry pick the links to all bug reports sent to the list
    within a given time interval.

    All of this functionality is out there already.

    > Hmm, wait... sounds like bugzilla, doesn't it?
    >
    > > You are right, email is not suitable for tracking bugs.

    Well, now, I think that even this statement is not exactly right. :-)

    > > Still, it works quite well as a means of sending initial reports.
    >
    > I disagree. It works small scale but does not really scale well.

    IMO that depends on how you handle it.

    Greetings,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2007-04-29 22:17    [W:0.032 / U:60.392 seconds]